Re: Deploying a fully integrated system

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 01:01:00 GMT

 Gabo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is a general question, we are getting ready for a major overhall
> of all of our systems into an integrated system. We have backends in
> Access,Excel and Oracle, different client-based front ends, tables
> that need to be denormalized and nothing currently talks with
> anything. The departments affected are numerous.
>
> My question is how do I begin to tackle this problem. Are there any
> books or articles that would help me? Which issues do I tackle first?
> Do I need a DataFlow chart of old and new system? We will be using
> Oracle as our backend and we have a JAVA front-end program that we
> will be using for most of this integration which hasn't been totally
> designed yet.
>
> What steps should I follow to help ensure success of the project.
>
> Thank you for any suggestions

You are following the classic directions for ending in Hades.

Ready, Fire, AIM!

> will be using for most of this integration which hasn't been totally
> designed yet.

You don't know what the design is (yet), but you are already coding. Big SIGH!

READY, FIRE, AIM.
I suspect that you'll still be coding & designing a year from now and a year after that. Received on Thu Jul 22 2004 - 20:01:00 CDT