Re: Oracle 9iAS vs Oracle 10g AS

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 22 Jul 2004 17:47:39 -0700

Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<5WCLc.107335$eO.58940_at_edtnps89>...
> John Smith wrote:
>

> > I was wondering if there is any real difference between 9i AS and 10g
> > AS for J2EE developers. From what I have read most of the changes
> > between the two are stricly on the database side and 10g AS now
> > supports J2EE 1.4 (but 9i AS can be upgraded as well). Am I over
> > simplifying iut or am I missing something?
> >
> > Regards
>
> Realize - Oracle Application Server 10g is version 9.0.4. So when you say
> '9i AS can be upgraded', you are actualy saying 'moved to 10g'.
>
> Some of the other benefits:
>
> - EMWebSite's replacement (EM App Server Control) talks nicely with OPMN and
> DCM;
> - DCM is now a bus and DCMCTL is a client of the bus (as are OPMN and EM);
> - EM is 1000% improved;
> - if in a clustered environment, the infrastructure can be ANY 9iR2 or 10g
> database, which means it can be properly protected (RAC, Dataguard,
> whatever)
>

> More than that is available from the fine, but overwhelming, docco at
> http://docs.oracle.com
>
> /Hans

One 10g downside: If on Windows, some tools like repca don't work and haven't been around long enough for support to admit it. Even if people complain, support calls about it are never resolved because people just wipe out everything and start over.

Both 902 and 904 are fragile in the sense you don't want to move or change much in the way of configuration once things are working. 902 is definitely worse in having to apply patch on patch on patch. There are some architectural differences between 902 and 904 that can make some things work very differently. I couldn't say whether that would affect any j2ee, unless it happens to access a database.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Happy Birthday, David Spade.  I'm sick of your commercials.  They're