Re: Database won't start Automatic, balks at datafile mount

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:51:18 +0200

Purity Control wrote:
> Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:<cdldb8$fdd$1_at_news1.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>...

[snip]

>>oradim73 -edit -sid BLAH -autostart TRUE
>>or something similar (oradim73, might be oradim23; check
>>syntax with oradim73 -help first)
>>
>>Autostarting services and the database are two diffrent things.

> Just as a point of reference, this is a very old server with NT 4.0 SP6
> installed. Back in Oracle7 days, two services were created by ORADIM73
> when requesting an Automatic Start mode: OracleStartSID and OracleServiceSID.
> The OracleStartSID would kick off the OracleServiceSID then it would
> go dormant.

Ah - yes, that was the mechanism... Thanks for clearing that.

> The behavior I am seeing is that both services go to a status of "Started"
> and OracleStartSID never completes. This is why the background services are
> in memory. It cannot complete, because the service is unable to mount
> the database files. This is the real mystery -- what can't it mount
> the database files?

Where do you have that information from?!? I've seen similar behaviour on the same platform with clusters, where the service simply was faster than the cluster s/w. The drive(s) on which the data files resided, simply weren't available at the time the service was started. - move the data files to direct attached storage devices (and

   prove the point)
- make the service dependant on the cluster services.

> This is the only database that is showing such strange behavior. The
> other database on the server is behaving correctly.
>
> As an experiment, I copied the balky database to another NT 4.0 SP6
> Oracle 7.3.4. server and recreated the services, rebooted. Exact same
> behavior with the services. I've never encountered such a balky database.
> I've moved Oracle7 databases around servers regularly, recreating their
> services and never had an issue (until now.)

Hm - symptoms, that would subscribe to the above. What about a Command Line Interface (CLI - or "DOS Box"), and: net start OracleStartVAPP
or
net stop OracleStartVAPP

What about the NT logs (specifically: Application and Security Logs) - any failure codes there?

> The commands I use for ORADIM73 are:
>
> oradim73 -delete -sid vapp
>
> [Check that services are gone, and that the pwdvapp.ora and strtvapp.cmd
> have been removed.]
>
> oradim73 -new -sid vapp -startmode auto -intpwd xxx -pfile e:\orant\database\
> initvapp.ora
>
> At this point the two NT services are created, and look like this:
>
> Status Startup
> OracleServiceVAPP Started Automatic
> OracleStartVAPP Automatic
>
> I can use SVRMGR23 to open the database without incident.

OK - but the net start trick should work as well, and mimics what happens during boot

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel