Re: Oracle 10g on zOS?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Jul 2004 17:06:11 -0700

Mike <mikee_at_mikee.ath.cx> wrote in message news:<10fsuur42af99a2_at_corp.supernews.com>...

> Also, Oracle tells us that once the VSAM data is converted
> to Oracle and we are then ready to migrate the data
> warehouse portion of the oltp database to mid-range
> servers, that we can easily ftp a copy of the database
> from zOS to *nix for setup and modification into the full
> olap/data warehouse instance. Thoughts on this?

Yes, easily is the word. The newest tools are even easier, but the old tools work just fine too. You can't simply copy database files though, you must use tools or database options. There are a number of ways to do it, depending on volume, refresh rate and so forth. Actually, 10G allows you to copy database files, but "transportable tablespaces across platforms" is a new thing and may have some limitations.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
All I want is sigalert.com on my car dashboard.