Re: 10g database dev edition available on CD?

From: Bob Arnold <bobarnold_at_mho.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:21:25 -0600

Many thanks to all who replied. Sorry for the lack of clarity about which edition I was referring to. I meant the Windows 32-bit version of 10g available at the following download page:

http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/database/oracle10g/index.html

It's not evident which edition(s) are contained in this download. Christian's .pdf link describes 4 editions:

   Personal
   Standard One
   Standard
   Enterprise

From the descriptions, I would prefer the Standard or Enterprise, but am willing to settle for whatever is contained in the above download. My (admittedly confusing) use of the term "developer edition" was based on the following text from at http://otn.oracle.com/software/index.html:

   All software downloads are free, and each comes with a development license    that allows you to use full versions of the product only while developing and    prototyping your applications.

So my question was, simply, whether I can obtain the above software via CD rather than via my slow dialup connection. "Son0" refers to the "normal CD". This may be what I want. On visiting the Oracle Store ("database" tab), I note links for the four editions above, plus a fifth -- database lite. But it's not clear here how to specify "development" use only. I do see the link to 30-day trial, but that's not what I'm after.

Under the Oracle Store "CD Packs" tab, I note a link for 10g Release 1 32-bit, at $70. I believe this is what Christian referred to in his first reply. This may be what I want, though, again, the licensing terms aren't clear. SonO implies that ALL editions, no matter how obtained, are free for development use. If that's the case, I should probably order the CD pack, although it appears to contain much more than what's covered by the original download link. Further, the $70 clearly repesents more than the "shipping costs" alluded to by Sybrand.

Again, thanks for your responses. I've reverted to a more humble, two-fold plan: 1) accomplish the original download, using a resumable download product, over a period of a week or so, and 2) begin a concerted study of Oracle's licensing structure.

Cheers,
Bob Arnold