Control File Sequential Read - top wait

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 21 Jul 2004 02:49:41 -0700

Hello,

I'm encountering problem that I have never seen before. According to Statspack report, control file sequential read wait is one of the top one waits (on Monday first, Tuesday second, today third) and roughly has the same total wait time as db file sequential read. Average wait is 4ms, but there is many of them.
There are three control files, created as raw devices on three different disks. The control files are not stripped, but as a storage we're using EMC's DMX, so this should be sufficient for something not really read demanding as are (usually) control files. Our statistics from nmon64 showed that disk drives, where these control files are stored, are not overloaded (at most 40%). There is almost nothing on Metalink related to this (only place on other device).

Have anyone encountered something like this?

Environment: IBM p670, AIX 5.2 64bit, 12GB RAM, EMC DMX2000, RAID1 or RAID10 (no fives), everything connected by fibre. Database:
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.5.0 - 64bit Production With the Partitioning and Real Application Clusters options JServer Release 9.2.0.5.0 - Production

P.S. There is Data Guard as a DR solution and the second RAC node is now down (only one is running).

Thank you for any ideas

--
Dusan Bolek
http://www.db-support.com

Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email will face an
unpleasant end as SPAM.