Rookie Character Set Question

From: Chris Battles <ctbattles_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 20 Jul 2004 09:12:10 -0700

We have a browser based application that posts information to the database via stored procedures and the plsql web toolkit. Some users prefer to compose their responses in a rich text editor (MS Word, Wordperfect, etc) and then paste their response into the form. When these items are saved to the database some of their high ASCII characters are being saved as their HTML equivalents (&#8220; for the left double quotation mark, &#8221; for the right double quotation mark, etc.) What is the proper way to accomodate this - should we be trapping/replacing these characters on the way in/out or perhaps setting a character set parameter that tells the database the proper way to handle them?

I suspect that this is super simple - I think that the toughest part about my problem is asking the question correctly so I apologize in advance. Received on Tue Jul 20 2004 - 11:12:10 CDT