Re: Linked server to oracle

From: Simon Hayes <sql_at_hayes.ch>
Date: 20 Jul 2004 04:11:42 -0700

pardha.kolachina_at_wipro.com (Pardhasaradhy) wrote in message news:<6be1c03a.0407192205.5b550f82_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
> I have a linked server to oracle 7.1 from SQL 2000. when I try to
> execute simple select statement which returns one row of data using
> openquery is not fetching the data. After 30 minutes SQL Query
> analyser is hanging. This is happening on the production server and it
> is working from last 6 months. I have tried by deleting and recreating
> the linked server, but no use. Please help
>
> Thanks,
>
> Regards,
> Pardhasaradhy

Have you tried connecting directly from the MSSQL server to the Oracle server using SQLPlus? If that doesn't work, then the linked server won't work either. If that does work, then you might want to check if anything has been upgraded or installed recently, eg. if you upgraded MDAC, then you may need to make registry changes, depending on the Oracle version:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=280106 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=259959

If none of this helps, then perhaps you can give more information - which MSSQL edition and servicepack, which version of MDAC and the Oracle client software, which driver (ODBC, MS OLEDB, Oracle OLEDB) you're using for the linked server etc.

Simon Received on Tue Jul 20 2004 - 06:11:42 CDT