Re: backup - openVMS 7.3-1 and Oracle 8.1.7

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:04:06 -0400

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:31:36 +0200, Hans Blom wrote:

> Excuse me!!!!

You are excused.

> Online backup with BACKUP/IGNORE=INTERLOCK????
> Let's assume you have two tablespaces, you backup the first and
> continue with the second, then a transaction updates tablespace
> one. Is that backup really consistent?

That is why you put tablespaces (and, if you have 10g, the database) in the backup mode. Log writer will write whole blocks, so you will generate quite a bit of redo information, and after restoring the backup taken that way, a recovery will be needed, but yes, that is the way to do hot backups. I suggest you to read from the numerous works of Rama Velpuri.

--
A city is a large community where people are lonesome together.