Re: oracle - mysql comparison

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 05:28:46 -0700

VC wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>I think your understanding of Oracle is rather slight based on what I
>>assume you mean.

> Whilst the conclusion may very well be true, your argument is unsound.
> Please substitute a real premis for the vague 'based on what I assume you
> mean'.

Ok bluntly ... I don't think you know what you are talking about. A lot less vague but I'd have preferred not to say it in those words.

>>How in mysql can you obtain a result consistent to point-in-time without
>>table locking all resources.

> Please go and re-read my original response to Alex Filonov who claimed that
> Oracle consistency is somehow more correct than that of DB2/MSSQL. We've
> discussed DB2/MSSQL vs. Oracle consistency issues, not mysql concurrency
> control.

Same statement is true for both DB2 and MS SQL. You can not create a point-in-time consistent read without full table locks on all resources.

> As to mysql, the answer to your question is truly simple: MYSQL has (and
> has had for quite a while) an implementation of Oracle style 'read
> consistency' with rollback segments and all.

Since what version?

>>And in Oracle ... I would like a demonstration of how would go about not
>>having a point-in-time consistent result without intentionally
>>corrupting a query result.

> I am not sure what you are trying to say here. Please elaborate.
>
> VC

I'm saying you can't, without intent, create a query result that is not read consistent to a point-in-time.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jul 19 2004 - 07:28:46 CDT