Re: oracle - mysql comparison

From: Dan <guntermannxxx_at_verizon.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 02:58:11 GMT

[snip]

> Well based on the number of licenses for Ingres, as a database rather
> than embedded into another application, I wouldn't expect there are very
> many people that need to remember how to spell it. Sort like remembering
> how to spell Paradox, dBase, RBase, Advanced Revelations, etc.
>
> I take it you criticized Jim's spelling because as we all well know ...
> the problem he pointed out exists ... something even you acknowleded.

The world is not quite so black and white. Jim was ignorant on this issue and the response was a rational, but speculative explanation that was entirely different from Jim's assumption. I too would doubt his exposure and expertise on the Ingres system or his capacity to make a balanced assessment between the two products.

As with everything in IT, there are trade-offs. Oracle made its choices and therefore has some strengths at the expense of other areas, such as serializability, which is entirely rational. Ingres, an RDBMS whose roots served to provide the basis for many innovative features of all DBMS's today, including Oracle, used a different approach and has strengths and weaknesses. Nothing more or less.

You should make assessments on the fundamentals of database technology in general and not be so bound up in technology for technology's sake, or a certain product. Saying something more assertatively or mustering a show of force doesn't make an assertion more true. If you don't know what you are talking about, sometimes its better just to be quiet.