Re: ORA-12641 with SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NTS)

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 16 Jul 2004 13:44:09 -0700

iwandraskovic_at_yahoo.de (Norbert) wrote in message news:<8c1a0cde.0407140823.54d6272d_at_posting.google.com>...
> Configuration:
> Database-Server Oracle 8.1.7 Standard Edition on W2K Server
> Application-Server W2K Prof with Oracle 8.1.7-Client connected over
> TCPIP,
> nameresolution via tnsnames.
>

> Everytime our process with db-connectivity by OCI starts as a
> windows-service the connect-attempt to the database fails with
> "ORA-12641:TNS:authentication service failed to initialize".
>
> The same process is connecting to the db without problems if we start
> him from the shell (not as a service).
>
> The solution for this problem is to change the
> SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES line in the SQLNET.ORA on the client to
> SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NONE) but our customer is not going to
> accept this because he needs this feature for other applications
> (admin-account to the db with authentication by windows).
>

> Here's the sqlnet.ora from server and client (they are the same on
> both machines):
>
> NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = xx.yy.zz.com
> SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
> NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES)
>
> I can't reproduce this problem in my environment, regardless of the
> SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES settings i have no problem to connect
> oracle as
> a service, so any hint will be appreciated.

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showFrameDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=141283.1

I think there is more to it than that, since I had to do the same workaround to patch 10g Portal. But if your customer needs authentication, check that he's actually running a supported authenticator. Some other ideas if you search metalink for "credential failed."

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Real reason they want you to turn off cell phones on planes: DNS