Re: time attributable to FGAC rewrite

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 20:10:41 +0000 (UTC)

Note in-line

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated July 14th

"robert" <gnuoytr_at_rcn.com> wrote in message

> my reading of Mr. Kyte's article and Mr. Feuerstein's book is that
> the policy function is inserted as part of the "regular" parsing
> exercise, not as an additional step or additionally executed.
> any query caching (not familiar enough with oracle jargon) still
> happens. at least 8i. that is, the WHERE is clause is modified only
> once. i admit, i'm not sure at all how often 'once' happens.

Your description is correct for 8i, but this allows inconsistencies to appear if a security predicate has a value that is expected to change over time. Injection only once at parse time would not allow the predicate to evolve, and this was causing a problem with some sites, so Oracle changed the behaviour in 9i, and changed it again in 10g.