Re: Solaris kernel parms

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:31:06 -0400

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:18:16 -0800, David E. Grove wrote:

> Usually, the Informix requirements are higher; for example,
> semsys:seminfo_semmni=4096 for Informix, but only 100 for Oracle.

SEMMNI is the maximum number of semaphore set identifiers. SEMMNS, on the other hand, is the maximum number of semaphores. Oracle uses 5 semaphores + 1 per process, if I correctly remember from reading Steve Adams book, but only few of semaphore sets. Semaphore set identifiers are, therefore, not critical with oracle. These entries, however, do not take much room in the Solaris kernel, so you can go with the higher nuber, just to be on the safe side. In my opinion, 100 identifiers should be sufficient, but I cannot vouch for that.

--
A city is a large community where people are lonesome together.