Link question

From: Ernest Morariu <ernest_at_gesora.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:17:20 +0200

Hi !

I have to create a trigger on a table residing in a database Oracle version 8.05. In this trigger I need to access another table residing on another server Oracle version 8.1.7. So, I decided to create a link in the server 8.05, that point to the database residing on the server 8.1.7(called STAFF).

I created the link using Oracle Enterprise Manager Console. The problem is that, when I click the Test button(to verify the link), a messagebox comes out telling me "The database link is not active !".

I want to mention that in the file tnsnames.ora(on the host, the one 8.05) I created two entries: one called STAFF and another called STAFF.WORLD. Using the Sql-Plus on the machine having Oracle 8.05, I can connect to the STAFF( in other words the entry STAFF in the tnsnames.ora works).

In this server(8.05), there are other links working fine, but all these links point to databases residing on servers of the same version(8.05) or minor version.

I think this is a compatibility problem between the two versions.

Is there any work around ?

Ernest Received on Fri Jul 16 2004 - 08:17:20 CDT