Re: connecting automatically as sys

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 05:34:39 GMT

jonathan wrote:

> I have a bizarre one - I want to automate a script that uses the 'sys'
> user, but when I try to log in via sqlplus:

<grumble>
I perceive that you are using downloaded Oracle9i Release 2, 9.2.0.1 on Linux Fedora Core 1. (This based on the fact that you did not tell us the version of the database, but you are talking about the process table. Therefore I conclude you are a recent refugee from Windows-land and THEY never talk about versions <g>).

However, my crystal ball is cloudy (or dirty) .... Version & OS Please??? </grumble>

Logging in as SYS would generally be considered a bad thing, but I suppose you have a valid reason. Would you mind sharing that reason with us? (There are very few things that can not be accomplished with a regular DBA.) Also, is there a reason why setting this up as a job from within the database (see DBMS_JOBS) would not not work?

Unless, of course, you are trying to bring up or shut down the database, in which case I refer you to the Oracle-supplied 'dbstart' and 'dbshut' scripts (which may need a minor mod if you use SPFILE).

/Hans Received on Fri Jul 16 2004 - 00:34:39 CDT