Re: Rule-based optimizer wins big over CBO - why?

From: Matt <mathewbutler_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 Jul 2004 16:24:14 -0700

without a tkprof report of a level 12, 10046 trace we can only guess as what is really going on under the covers. Though it looks to me like the optimizer is looking to optimizer for throughput, whereas you say the query runs quicker when the optimizer is looking to show results as quickly as possible.

I assume that your times are based on retreiving all expected rows?

If you want to get the optimizer to optimize for "show me some results as quickly as possible"

Have a look at the following (good) hints:

See:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A91202_01/901_doc/server.901/a87503/hintsref.htm#4896

For info on 10046 tracing go to http://www.hotsos.com and have a look at "How to Activate Extended SQL Trace"

Hope this helps,