Re: Database space grawth decreses 100%

From: Martin <>
Date: 15 Jul 2004 14:03:05 -0700

> Martin wrote:
> >>There is insufficient information here to answer your primary question
> >>but here are a couple of thoughts.
> >>
> >>1. What are you doing with Even if for some reason you can't
> >> move to 9i or 10g there is no excuse for not being at
> >>
> >>2. What is your setting for PCTUSED and PCTFREE on tables and PCTUSED
> >> on indexes?
> >>
> >>Daniel Morgan
> >

> > Hello Daniel,
> >
> > Answer to your first question has to with the way our organization
> > works, please believe me when I say that we (DBAs) would love to be
> > 10g or even 9i. Actual there are plans to upgrade to 9i by the end of
> > this year, hopefully.
> Understandable but what does that have to do with patching to

With a new patch all executable would have to be recompiled and a full functional test would have to be done (this is how we do things) and right now people are simply too busy.

> > Answer to you second question, table PCTFREE, we moved tables (ones
> > that account for most of the growth in and size of the database) with
> > PCTFREE 10 and set it to 30 after the move. Table PCTUSED was 40.
> > Indexes were rebuilding with PCTFREE 10.
> I know this doesn't answer your question but 10/40 is the default values
> and almost always a waste of space and the generator of poorer
> performance.

The change in default values was what development requested, it has to do with amount of update in these tables.

> > I guess I should have mentioned that we do not perform many deletions,
> > our data is basically inserted and updated only, there is a purge
> > process we have, but this particular client has chose not to run it.
> >
> > Moreover majority of objects that were moved/rebuild onto new LM
> > tablespace were done in PARALLE.
> >
> > Martin
> Can't explain the difference you described based on what I've read. But
> if I were DBA I'd be changing by block usage with PCTUSED and PCTFREE
> just after I patched to

I'll have to dig up some data for database growth before the "reorg". I think we we did look at it by block before, never hursts to check again.

Thank you for your input Daniel.

Martin J. Received on Thu Jul 15 2004 - 16:03:05 CDT

Original text of this message