Re: Very long "WHERE" list.

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_iahu.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:58:14 -0700

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:cd3pmm$ah5$1_at_titan.btinternet.com...
> The (main) reason why both queries show exactly the same
> logical I/O is that the resulting join is based on PK to PK,
> so the semi-join's strategy of stopping after one row is never
> relevant.

This just emphases how volatile state of the art in SQL optimization is. This little trick - stopping after finding first match - was the only advantage semijoin tuple iteration semantics had over nested loops. I was told lately (but didn't verify) that this optimization has been added to NL as well. Received on Thu Jul 15 2004 - 15:58:14 CDT