Re: Monitoring questionable long running sessions

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 15 Jul 2004 07:15:13 -0700

The key to solving this problem is your diagnosis and not guessing at what is wrong. To properly diagnose this problem use what is known as a '10046' trace. This traces all useful information about your session in question to a file. You can then use a reporting tool called 'tkprof' to give you a readable format.

There is a good article on www.hotsos.com on how to use this. Its relatively painless. After formatting the output is similiar to an explain plan. Once you know 'why', you can then determine 'how' to solve the problem. I'd also recommend checking out 'optizming oracle performance' by the guy who runs that site.

Pete Finnigan also has a very easy to follow step by step article on how to use Oracle tracing. I believe his website is peterfinnigan.com? Can't remember.

Don't guess.