Re: Database space grawth decreses 100%

From: Martin <mjarosinski_at_alldata.net>
Date: 14 Jul 2004 11:21:07 -0700

> There is insufficient information here to answer your primary question
> but here are a couple of thoughts.
>
> 1. What are you doing with 8.1.7.2? Even if for some reason you can't
> move to 9i or 10g there is no excuse for not being at 8.1.7.4.
>
> 2. What is your setting for PCTUSED and PCTFREE on tables and PCTUSED
> on indexes?
>
> Daniel Morgan

Hello Daniel,

Answer to your first question has to with the way our organization works, please believe me when I say that we (DBAs) would love to be 10g or even 9i. Actual there are plans to upgrade to 9i by the end of this year, hopefully.

Answer to you second question, table PCTFREE, we moved tables (ones that account for most of the growth in and size of the database) with PCTFREE 10 and set it to 30 after the move. Table PCTUSED was 40. Indexes were rebuilding with PCTFREE 10.

I guess I should have mentioned that we do not perform many deletions, our data is basically inserted and updated only, there is a purge process we have, but this particular client has chose not to run it.

Moreover majority of objects that were moved/rebuild onto new LM tablespace were done in PARALLE.

Martin Received on Wed Jul 14 2004 - 13:21:07 CDT