Re: help with xmltype column larger than 4000 bytes

From: roger <xrsr_at_rogerware.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:30:44 GMT

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in news:1089781821.385687 @yasure:

> VARCHAR2 columns max at 4K bytes. VARCHAR2 variables at 32K.

Huh? Did you mean VARCHAR at 4k and VARCHAR2 at 32k?

> XML should be stored as a CLOB or using the internal XML data type.

Yes, I am using sys.xmltype as the column definition, and as I say, I have no problem storing xml documents of any size.

But, if I do

   select cast(xlmcol as varchar2(8000)) xml from mytable

I get an error:

   ORA-00910: specified length too long for its datatype

If I use varchar2(4000) then all the pretty xml comes out.

So, if there's some way to use a varchar or varchar2 or whatever, that is bigger than 4K, please help me see it.

Thanks again. Received on Wed Jul 14 2004 - 09:30:44 CDT