Re: Very long "WHERE" list.

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:34:24 -0700

ctcgag_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
>

>>>Or, #4, the client copies and pastes the list from some other source.
>>>

>>Have you ever typed in 20,000 anythings?

> Yep.

Sorry but I have reservations.

>>How long did it take?

> A few days.

And your employer paid you for this? Anyone doing this on my dime would be looking for another job.

>>How many mistakes did you make?

> None.

Nonsense. Pure unadulterated nonsense.

>>Copied and pasted in a list of 20,000 items? Nonsense!

> I've done it twice so far today, and it is only 8:14 a.m.

Given that it is impossible to do this in Oracle how did you accomplish it?

>>But the simple solution as I previously posted:
>>
>>SELECT *
>>FROM mytable
>>WHERE MOD(id, 2) = 1
>>AND id < 20001;

> That is the simple solution only if you assume an aweful lot about the
> content of the OPs ellipsis.
>
> Xho

No assumptions ... I read the SQL statement provided by the OP.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Jul 13 2004 - 19:34:24 CDT