Re: Canned Oracle (or Oracle Runtime Env)

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:13:42 -0700

Rick Denoire wrote:

> We have customers who provide us with their data that we put in our
> Oracle DB in a special application. When the application is customized
> and all data delivered and loaded, the customer would like to actually
> get the whole thing over to his site. But:
> -we don't know the degree of DB expertize of the customer
> -the customer assumes that he just needs to "start" the application
> -the application should run without typical DB maintenance.
> -license issues should be simplified for the customer
>
> Is there a way to put an Oracle application into a "can" providing a
> kind of Runtime Environment, that is, limited functionality in order
> to allow the DB just to mount + open the database and "run".
>
> So the Application would be a package containing datafiles, needed
> binaries and documentation all together ready to install and run.
> I think something similar exists for MS Access.
>
> Alternatively, we would need to rewrite the application and use flat
> files. That is like trying to reinvent the DB engine anew.
>
> In some particular cases, the customer maintains itself Oracle
> databases. We would need to deliver the database as such (that means,
> the files). Is there any simplified method to mount a database from
> CD-ROM, for example? (Would be opened readonly, of course).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Bye
> Rick Denoire

This has all the sounds and smells of a disaster waiting to happen.

I'd dump the custome if I couldn't talk sense into them. Sense would start with your firm having remote access to their servers and a contract that pays you to provide remote management.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Jul 13 2004 - 19:13:42 CDT