Re: bit of a history question

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:09:41 -0700

DaveT wrote:

> hello,
> this is for the 'old-timers' that were around in the mid-1980's!!
>
> I was told by a 'consultant' that text searching in relational databases
> (like oracle) was not good in the early to mid 80's, so that's why the
> product they use works with a flat-file database instead of an RDBMS.
>
> Is this true?
>
> I know today this is not the case, but I'm having a hard time finding
> evidence to support this claim.
>
> This is for an application www.dataflight.com
>
> they are running into performance problems - my feeling is they're running
> into performance limitations of a flat-file database.
> (slow searches, sluggish performance with huge amounts of data .... each
> database is a few gigabytes in size on average. )
>
> The problem is the data keeps coming in every month (3-400 GB per month) and
> this thing looks like it's going to blow up soon.
>

> thanks,
>
> Dave

Flat files are generally faster than relational. Inefficient at storage. Pathetic at data integry. But fast. Look elsewhere for the problem.

That doesn't mean they aren't writing rotten code against that flat file database ... but that is not the database's fault.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Jul 13 2004 - 19:09:41 CDT