Canned Oracle (or Oracle Runtime Env)

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:55:34 +0200

We have customers who provide us with their data that we put in our Oracle DB in a special application. When the application is customized and all data delivered and loaded, the customer would like to actually get the whole thing over to his site. But:
-we don't know the degree of DB expertize of the customer
-the customer assumes that he just needs to "start" the application
-the application should run without typical DB maintenance.
-license issues should be simplified for the customer

Is there a way to put an Oracle application into a "can" providing a kind of Runtime Environment, that is, limited functionality in order to allow the DB just to mount + open the database and "run".

So the Application would be a package containing datafiles, needed binaries and documentation all together ready to install and run. I think something similar exists for MS Access.

Alternatively, we would need to rewrite the application and use flat files. That is like trying to reinvent the DB engine anew.

In some particular cases, the customer maintains itself Oracle databases. We would need to deliver the database as such (that means, the files). Is there any simplified method to mount a database from CD-ROM, for example? (Would be opened readonly, of course).

Any ideas?

Bye
Rick Denoire Received on Tue Jul 13 2004 - 16:55:34 CDT