help with xmltype column larger than 4000 bytes

From: roger <xrsr_at_rogerware.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:43:40 GMT

Help please...

I'm on 9.2.0.3.0, on solaris.

I've got a table with a sys.xmltype colum, on which I need to do a string replace function like so:

  update table mytable
    set myxmlcol = replace(myxmlcol, oldval, newval)   where ...

The problem is that if the myxmlcol contains more than 4000 characters, this fails with an oracle error:

ORA-19011: Character string buffer too small

I have no problem creating and reading back the column using sys.xmltype.createxml and sys.xmltype.getstringval.

Is there some parameter that I can set to increase the size of whatever internal buffer is causing me this problem. 8000 would suffice in my case.

Thanks. Received on Tue Jul 13 2004 - 12:43:40 CDT