Database space grawth decreses 100%

From: Martin <mjarosinski_at_alldata.net>
Date: 13 Jul 2004 07:40:59 -0700

Hi All,

We have recently completed a re-organization of most of our production databases (oracle 8.1.7.2), this was the first ever re-org. to happen on these database (for reason I do not want to go into).

First, what do I mean by re-organization, we introduce locally managed tablespace (excluding the system tablespace) and moved all the tables and rebuild all the indexes on the new tablespace, also we introduced standard for extent sizes, organized segment into groups by sizes and did our best to standardise storage parameters in general.

Besides reclaiming around 20% of disc space, this was the mean reason this was done (this particular DB was 500GB before the "re-org") we are experiencing (consistently for 2 moths now) a decreased database growth. Before the re-org. exercise we were growing by 4GB a month, now we grow by 2GB. There were on major changes to our batch processes or the way our clients do business.

Initial saving of 20% is easy to explain, however we have not been able to explain why the on-going growth has decreased.

Anyone run into the same thing?
Are LM tablespace this match better at space management?

Thank you,
Martin Received on Tue Jul 13 2004 - 09:40:59 CDT