Re: Very long "WHERE" list.

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 20:27:56 -0700

ctcgag_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, damorgan_at_x.washington.edu wrote:
>>

>>>Two choices:
>>>
>>>1. The list is fixed and hard-coded into PL/SQL. If this is the
>>>    case any change to the list requires modifying source code
>>>    and running through a full QA cycle.
>>>
>>>2. The list is being typed in by hand every time

> What do you mean every time? How often does it have to be done for it
> to be an issue? What if it is normally used with 1 to 15 items, and
> once in a blue moon someone wants 20,000?
>

>>>    it is executed
>>>    in which case it will take the average worker many hours
>>>    not to mention the proofing.
>>
>>Or, #3, (as Jonathan nicely laid out), the client is a machine.

> Or, #4, the client copies and pastes the list from some other source.

Have you ever typed in 20,000 anythings? How long did it take?
How many mistakes did you make?
Copied and pasted in a list of 20,000 items? Nonsense!

But the simple solution as I previously posted:

SELECT *
FROM mytable
WHERE MOD(id, 2) = 1
AND id < 20001;

Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace the x with a u to reply) Received on Mon Jul 12 2004 - 22:27:56 CDT