Re: wait events made WITHIN/BETWEEN database calls

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:16:05 +0200

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 20:21:46 +0900, "Joe" <yung103_at_netvigator.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I am reading a performance tuning book, in which I come across the terms
>1. wait events made within database calls
>2. wait events made between database calls
>when walking through the extended SQL trace output.
>
>Can anyway explain to me how to distinguish the 2 database calls from each
>other?
>
>Thanks in advanced.
>
>Joe

You must be reading the Millsap book. As far as I am concerned, he DOES explain it.
Wait events with a database calls is anything your session is waiting for while processing a fetch.
Wait events between database calls is mainly the Oracle session waiting for the client to come up with a new statement. Yes, that the sqlnet waiting message from client events.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA