Re: Oracle 10G: Grid Control Install Problems. 64 Bit Windows

From: Louis Frolio <froliol_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 12 Jul 2004 07:49:28 -0700

fitzjarrell_at_cox.net (David Fitzjarrell) wrote in message news:<9711ade0.0407110530.49e2c72d_at_posting.google.com>...
> froliol_at_yahoo.com (Louis Frolio) wrote in message news:<94c28610.0407101546.71f52ec4_at_posting.google.com>...
> > fitzjarrell_at_cox.net (David Fitzjarrell) wrote in message news:<9711ade0.0407092002.534426f6_at_posting.google.com>...

> > > What does OEM have to do with Grid control? Daniel mentioned nothing
> > > about Enterprise Manager. Where did you infer he did? The fact that
> > > grid control is unavailable on Windows servers is likely due to it not
> > > being available at the current time, a conclusion I draw from the
> > > download page for Oracle 10g. Grid control is listed for many
> > > operating systems of the Linux/UNIX variety, however no mention of any
> > > Windows server is mentioned. The original poster asked about grid
> > > control with Windows Server, and why it was greyed out in Enterprise
> > > Manager. Daniel gave a perfectly rational explanation that it wasn't
> > > installed. And it can't be, at least not until it's available for
> > > Windows. And this has nothing to do with the location of Enterprise
> > > Manager on the distribution CDs for Windows.
> > >
> > > I would suggest you re-read the post again.
> > >
> > > David Fitzjarrell
> > >

> > > David Fitzjarrell
> >
> > David, sorry to have irritated you on this thread. With that out of
> > the way let me ask you a question. With 10G OEM can I monitor several
> > differenct instances on different servers some of which are 9i?.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.

> You should be able to do just that. I have had no problems monitoring
> 8i instances from the 9i OEM and I have no reason to believe this
> backward compatibility has changed in 10g.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

David, thanks for the feedback. The problem that I see is that Grid Control has not been released for the Windows platform which I believe precludes the functionality to monitor remote instances. Without grid control I think you can only run OEM on the machine that is running the database, I cannot seem to figure out how to register targets and I think this has to do with the fact that Grid control is not present?  Have you or any of your colleague tried to set up 10G on Windows to monitor several remote sources? I am just tryinjg to get my head around this completely new architecture and desing. One cool thing with 10G oem is that it no longer uses Apache, it is all servlets run from OC4J! I like it. Anyhoo, if you have any ideas I would greatly appreciate to hear them, if not I will post when I figure it all out.  I have an iTar open asking these very questions.

Louis Received on Mon Jul 12 2004 - 09:49:28 CDT