Re: Very long "WHERE" list.

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 06:57:06 -0700

Galen Boyer wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Jul 2004, damorgan_at_x.washington.edu wrote:
>

>>Mikito Harakiri wrote:
>>

>>>wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au (Noons) wrote in message

>>>You have to make a little research before dumping blant
>>>statements. What fundamental limitation on the implementation
>>>side would make processing such query impossible?
>>
>>Whether the statement is "impossible" it is ludicrous and a
>>strong indication of an incredbily bad design.

Two choices:

  1. The list is fixed and hard-coded into PL/SQL. If this is the case any change to the list requires modifying source code and running through a full QA cycle.
  2. The list is being typed in by hand every time it is executed in which case it will take the average worker many hours not to mention the proofing.

The solution, of course, is to use a lookup table and a subselect or, as I demonstrated a day ago, a simple use of MOD.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jul 12 2004 - 08:57:06 CDT