different implicit casting behaviour

From: Gary <rooty_hill2002_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 11 Jul 2004 23:52:44 -0700

All,

This was from one of my programmers. She claimed one of her statements was working in system testing region, but after being promoted to user acceptance testing region it stopped working, so it became mu problem.

She uses the following statement to simply retrieve one field "cat_type_name" from table "loan_product":

SELECT cat_type_name FROM loan_product
WHERE acct_type = 1028
AND int_cat = 003

Unfortunately, both acct_type and int_cat are defined as CHAR(4) and NOT NULL. So apparently, this statement should not work at all. However, in system testing region it DID work. I rejected to look any further unless she change the statement to: SELECT cat_type_name FROM loan_product
WHERE acct_type = '1028'
AND int_cat ='0003'

She did and her application is working happily in user testing region now. However, I still can't answer the question why it worked in system testing region but doesn't work in user acceptance region. I compared the table in two regions, couldn't find any difference. Looks like the implicit casting behaves differently in these two databases.

Any idea about what I should check to find out the reason.

Sorry guys, I am a newbie.

Cheers,

Gary Received on Mon Jul 12 2004 - 01:52:44 CDT