Re: oracle log user activity, from outside db machine?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:50:24 GMT

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 09:10:46 +0200, Bjoern Wiechmann wrote:

> hi there,
>
> I need to log user activity of a large oracle 9i system under stress.
> Solaris based, database size is incredible. (sadly enough: the task is
> to log the full sql statements, with all data, of any user - its for
> debug purposes of some strange bugs in a distributed multiuser application)
> Thats why I expect it to happen, to enable audit or sql_trace would
> almost "kill" the performance. I have another large machine available
> which could do the logging - if only I knew: Is it possible to use
> something similar to sql_trace, but from outside the db-machine? Like a
> "man-in-the-middle" listener tool or something? Or could someone guide
> me to a calculation, how much performance down I'll have when enabling
> sql_trace on the full machine? Or maybe the "perfect" idea to do this
> logging and tracing, somewhere available?
> Thanks for any informations.
>
> Bjoern

Let me see if I understood you properly: you would like to log all SQL statements submitted to oracle, but without using oracle's trace facility or any form of auditing. The only way that I can think of of doing such a thing is to develop a SQL net interceptor and read the statement from there. I'm not sure that that would be even possible, or how to implement such a thing. For one, I would put another machine on the same network segment into the promiscuous mode, read all packets and grep for the SQL statements.

--
A city is a large community where people are lonesome together.