Re: oracle log user activity, from outside db machine?

From: Bjoern Wiechmann <bwiechmann_at_t-online.de>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:41:41 +0200

Igor Racic schrieb:

> It seems he doesn't have performance problem but bug in application.
Yes, thats the problem. Some data "meet" on the server in a strange way, then several funny effects are happen. Some apps run, some crash, but nothing to easily identify whats wrong. And everytime new combination of crashing/running apps, almost never same combination twice. Looks like it depends on the data and/or on the statements executed at that time, thats why I was asking for chances to enable logging and so on. The bug seems to be a combination of a performance problem (too slow - or not finished when trying to do something) and an application timing problem, difficult to analyze without database on heavy load. My own apps I may control, but with oracle - sometimes more black-box than I like ;-)
> So, level 4 of event 10046 could be enough.
Good hint - I'll check, and the level 12 suggestion at Sybrand's posting.
> Also, I suppose, having several sessions writing in user_dump_dest
> impact may be much more then neglicible.
Thats the reason for my question - I know it has a measurable effect on the database performance, when I enable logging. But I don't know how big - and to prevent from any effects, I was asking for a logging on "outside" the machine.

> If he is on 10g, then FGA may be of help.
Sadly - no. Its 9i.

> Just my 2c
>
> Igor

Thanks - Bjoern