Re: Questioning Oracle Documentation

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 17:02:51 -0700

Mladen Gogala wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:42:20 -0700, Daniel Morgan wrote:
> Daniel, I traced your code and found no extraordinary wait events.
> You've probably come across a quirk in the internal PL/SQL optimizing
> mechanism. The trace file is below this text. Oracle probably tried to
> atone for the mistakes that people are usually making, so they optimized
> the performance penalty away. That is the only explanation I have.
> May the force be with you and your students.

I did too and came to the same "crazy" conclusion.

According to these results I can tune my code by forcing implicit conversions of integers to strings. How in H... is that possible?

How can doing somehting cost substantially less than doing nothing?

Daniel Morgan Received on Sat Jul 10 2004 - 19:02:51 CDT