Re: Automated standby - swapping roles

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Jul 2004 00:35:02 -0700

seismo_at_elvis.com (B. Jones) wrote in message news:<e6ca440a.0407090629.350fa54b_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hey guys - gotta question.
> I have a few sites on 8i utilizing automated standby.
> We have a script on the standby server running in cron that makes a
> connection every minute to the primary database. If the connection
> fails, it brings the standby server into production mode with ALTER
> DATABASE ACTIVATE STANDBY DATABASE. According to Oracle/Lawrence To's
> "Graceful Switchover and Switchback," that command will perform an
> implicit open resetlogs,

be aware that depending upon the size, number of groups, members per group, that the resetlogs operation will zero out the online redo logs. serially.

If you have 4 groups with 2 members per group of 256 MB, you'll have 2 GB of redo logs to clear. If you're counting every second, you'll have to figure that in.

-bdbafh Received on Sat Jul 10 2004 - 02:35:02 CDT