Re: Very long "WHERE" list.

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:43:05 -0700

Mikito Harakiri wrote:

>>When you get into a car do you expect the car to tell you that you are
>>too drunk to drive?
>>
>>If you walked into a hospital surgical theatre would you expect the
>>scalpel to tell you that you are wholly unqualified to be a surgeon?
>>
>>Why is it the databases responsibility to tell you that you don't
>>understand how to design and implement a relational design?
>>
>>Why is it Oracle's responsibility to tell you that you should be
>>flipping burgers not bytes?

> I don't understand. Did you switch sides, or is there some sarcasm that I'm
> missing?

I haven't changed a thing. And yes my post is laced with biting sarcasm.

> Plain and simple. Oracle responsibility is to implement what users want.

Nonsense. Oracle's responsibility is to implement a stable, scalable, high performance platform that meets the needs of the officer, Board of Directors, stockholders, and by extension IT management: Users are almost irrelevant.

And what is especially irrelevant is developers that are incompetent. Thus my comment that they should flip burgers not bytes.

> It appears that they want long in-list.

Nonsense. People that don't understand relational databases want lots of things. That doesn't mean they should get them.

  Now, please enlighten me why list of 1, > 10, and 100 elements is OK, but list of 1000 elements is not?

For the same reason that a table with two, ten, or maybe even 50 columns is OK but a table with 500 columns is not. And if you need me to answer the question you likely couldn't normalize a schema under threat of having to get a job you were qualified to perform: Or worse.

> According to some twisted logic, an equivalent query splitting list of 1000
> elements into smaller list and concatenating them is perfectly legal to
> execute. If you are in denial, then please be concistent and don't allow it
> as well.

The following is perfectly legal too:

BEGIN
    dbms_output.put_line(NULL);
END;
/

But if you write it you should be fired. It is not Oracle's job to protect developers from their own incompetence. From syntax errors yes. From logical and design errors no.

Daniel Morgan Received on Sat Jul 10 2004 - 01:43:05 CDT