Re: connecting to RMAN in 9i

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 15:35:38 -0700

Tom Gerhard wrote:

> I am having trouble connecting to RMAN in 9i.
>
> I can start RMAN just fine (I get the RMAN prompt). However, when I
> try to connect to the target database using "connect target /", I get
> an ORA-12450 error message stating that RMAN is not connected to the
> database.
>
> Then I tried specifying my database name using "connect target /
> jordan". I double-checked that the global database name and SID is
> "jordan". I still received an error, this time stating it did not
> recognize the identifier "jordan".
>
> I exitted RMAN and attempted to connect from the Run window in XP by
> typing "rman target / jordan". This time the RMAN window openned and
> closed in a microsecond.
>
> I have a feeling this is a boneheaded newbie problem and I'm just
> getting the syntax wrong, although I've checked several books and
> online resources.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I am at a bit of a loss here. What is it that you expect:

connect target / jordan

to do? From my experience I'd be looking for:

connect target <userid>/<password>@<database_link_name> or
connect target <userid>/<password>@<database_link_name> NOCATALOG

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jul 09 2004 - 17:35:38 CDT