connecting to RMAN in 9i

From: Tom Gerhard <tgerhard60_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 9 Jul 2004 11:53:00 -0700

I am having trouble connecting to RMAN in 9i.

I can start RMAN just fine (I get the RMAN prompt). However, when I try to connect to the target database using "connect target /", I get an ORA-12450 error message stating that RMAN is not connected to the database.

Then I tried specifying my database name using "connect target / jordan". I double-checked that the global database name and SID is "jordan". I still received an error, this time stating it did not recognize the identifier "jordan".

I exitted RMAN and attempted to connect from the Run window in XP by typing "rman target / jordan". This time the RMAN window openned and closed in a microsecond.

I have a feeling this is a boneheaded newbie problem and I'm just getting the syntax wrong, although I've checked several books and online resources.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Received on Fri Jul 09 2004 - 13:53:00 CDT