Re: ORA-01659: unable to allocate MINEXTENTS . . . creating a INDEX

From: Roman <rupa_at_firemail.de>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 19:08:56 +0200

Am Fri, 09 Jul 2004 08:06:06 -0700 schrieb jose luis fernandez diaz:

> I have a lot of space in data files binds to tablespace
> "CUSTOM_TBS_ARTICULOS_IX_01", but it seems that Oracle doesn't see it.
> What is the problem ?

Well, there are 2 possibilities:

  1. All the space is used by other objects
  2. There is a lot of freespace but its fragmented and the extents don't fit in the empty gaps.

If you are using DMTS you can try:
alter tablespace <name> coalesce;

When you have actually verified that there is a lot of freespace and its fragmented the only way to defragment it is a tablespace reorg.

However storage is cheap and time usually short. therefore you might just whant ot add an other datafile?

All the best,

Roman Received on Fri Jul 09 2004 - 12:08:56 CDT