Re: Automated standby - swapping roles

From: Roman <rupa_at_firemail.de>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 18:59:16 +0200

Am Fri, 09 Jul 2004 07:29:27 -0700 schrieb B. Jones:

> We have a script on the standby server running in cron that makes a
> connection every minute to the primary database. If the connection
> fails, it brings the standby server into production mode with ALTER
> DATABASE ACTIVATE STANDBY DATABASE. According to Oracle/Lawrence To's
> "Graceful Switchover and Switchback," that command will perform an
> implicit open resetlogs, hence will not allow the procedures outlined
> there.

Additionally to "ALTER> DATABASE ACTIVATE STANDBY DATABASE" you have to shutdown
startup

On top of that usually one has to create the temorary TSP

I can't think of any other procedure to bring up the standby. Wether it does "open resetlogs" ... don't konw. But I doubt it. Why should it?

> Additionally, as far as I could tell, there appeared to be downtime
in
> the procedures outlined in that strategy.

It's certainly not an immidiate failover. Anyway, once the standby is up one has to tell all the clients where to connect to. So downtime is there anyway.

I would want to to this procedure by hand and not through scripts.

> I was thinking that I could just export the database from server2 to
> server1, build my standby controlfile from server2 and ftp to server1.
> Will this work at all?
> Ideas appreciated.

Why export? It' s damn slow and obsolete. Will this work at all?

In order to build up the standby DB I would recommend :

Create the standby controlfile.
Put the TSPs im "begin backup" and copy the datafiles to the target with scp, ftp, nc, rcp or what ever ... just not UPD based nfs.

Even better use managed standy and let RMAN do the job.

Greets Roman Received on Fri Jul 09 2004 - 11:59:16 CDT