Re: Recommended book for 8.x users who upgrade to 10?

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:53:50 GMT

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 18:31:57 -0700, Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:

>NetComrade wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 06:32:42 -0700, Daniel Morgan
>> <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:

>>>Holger Marzen wrote:

>>>On the subject of administering the db with command-line tools I can
>>>tell you that unless you are trying to move yourself into the realm
>>>of unemployed dinosaur those days are over. You'd be wise to spend
>>>your time looking at OEM and GRID control. I know CIOs that are
>>>actively replacing DBAs that can't figure out that those days are over.
>>

>> Maybe CEOs need to be replacing their CIOs. GUIs are good for some
>> things, for many other things command line is still king (and quite
>> often faster to work with). Additionally, people that use command line
>> usually know how to use a GUI, but not the other way around.

>Au contraire mon ami.
>
>The productivity of a DBA still working at the command line and trying
>to manage DataGuard, RMAN, GRID, ASM, ADDM, etc. is perilously close
>to zero.
>
>It is time to get with the program or some 20+ year old that is still
>willing to learn new things will take your job for far less money and
>be far more productive.

Once again, I do see value in using GUIs, especially in visualizing your data is with products such as ASM (as you pointed out), or Volume Manager. What I am saying, that the skillset has to include command line as well. Personally, I wouldn't hire a pure GUI person for the reasons I listed above (easier to move from command->GUI, much harder GUI->command).

Maybe you're saying that people have to know how to use GUI (frankly, I don't know how they wouldn't, we all use windows). And I am saying people should know how to use command line; but neither of us is implying that GUI or command is the only way to go. Maybe we actually agree? :)

We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Fri Jul 09 2004 - 09:53:50 CDT