Oracle-9i datafiles 10 times larger on MacOS (Panther) !?

From: Steve <stephen.riehm_at_gmx.net>
Date: 9 Jul 2004 04:36:23 -0700

Hi,

this week I installed Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 on my Mac for development (Mac OSX 10.3.4, Panther, Dual G5, 2.5GB Ram, 50+GB free disk). I then imported a dump from the live server (1GB of data) and was a bit surprised when I kept getting "can't add extent to tablespace" errors. On the G5 I now have 5 datafiles for the tablespace, 4 are maxed out at 8GB (!? 32Bit = 4GB - huh?), and the 5th also has 1GB (33GB total)!! On the Live Solaris Server the same data, in the same version of oracle, using the same schema, with the same indexes etc. and the same application uses less than 2GB.

Is this a Mac-OS bug? A Configuration Problem Maybe? What could possibly explain oracle's hunger for over 10 times the file space as on other servers?

Has anyone else seen effects like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I still haven't managed to get some processes running because even with all of these GB it always seems to find a new limit which it can't handle (it now thinks the Rollback tablespace is too small, after I enlarged that the process just doesn't end).

Thanks in advance,

Steve
PS: I also tried the same on a G4 PB with similar results, except that my disk ran out of space before the errors went away. Received on Fri Jul 09 2004 - 06:36:23 CDT