Re: a few basic questions

From: Igor Racic <igor.racicC_at_freesurf.fr_no_C>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 22:53:06 +0200

Karl Hungus wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Whats the difference between a tablespace and a schema?
>
> Whats the sql to list the names of tables in a ..schema? and does the user
> need any special privledges to access this information?
>
> ..on oracle10g
>
> TIA,
> Karl

Tablespace is, let's say, entity that groups one or more files. A table or index is assigned to just one tablespace (if we forget partitioning for the moment).

Schema, on the other hand, groups all logical objects (tables, indexes...) of one particular user.

To find things in your schema use select * from user_tables or user_indexes, etc

To access objects in other schema you (your user) need to be granted. Connecting a owner do something like 'GRANT SELECT, INSERT, DELETE on A TO user2' where "A" is some table that's in user1 schema.

I hope I made clear enough.
Much more details you can find on otn.oracle.com...

Igor Received on Thu Jul 08 2004 - 15:53:06 CDT