Re: ORA-01034 and ORA-01034, if starting oracle from script

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 08:55:20 -0500

On 8 Jul 2004 00:50:53 -0700, chico_at_grumly.info (cyril) wrote:

>> What are you seeing in your spooled files?
>
>SQL> shutdown immediate;
>ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
>ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
>Linux Error: 2: No such file or directory
>SQL> spool off
>
>This is the same output than my shell prompt.

I'd agree with Joel. You've got some environment variable -- probably $ORACLE_BASE or $ORACLE_HOME set up incorrectly. Possibly other setup problems as well.

What are the values for $ORACLE_BASE, $ORACLE_HOME, and $ORACLE_SID? Are they exported so your script can see them?

>> The "ORA-01034: ORACLE not
>> available" means the database isn't started. And since your scripts
>> have so many errors, it's guaranteed you'll never get the db started
>> with them. Your spool files should reveal some fundamental problems.
>
>Damned, I don't know Oracle at all,

That could be a problem.

>I just have to install a RadHat
>cluster with an Oracle service and I was trusted The scripts from
>Redhat.

Since you're dealing with Oracle, you should trust Oracle instead of Red Hat.

>> First, you have to connect to the instance, and neither your start or
>> stop scripts issues a 'connect' command. The string 'sys as sysdba'
>> is an argument of the 'connect' command, but you've never said to
>> connect.
>
>Actually, I understand that I redirect "sys as sysdba" into sqlplus
>input. This input, at this moment, correspond when the shell prompt :
>"Enter user-name:"

No, it doesn't exactly correspond. When you do the input redirection you are NOT supplying input to an anticipated interactive prompt, you are supplying a stream of sqlplus commands and or sql statements. 'sys as sysdba' is neither.

>I try enter "sys as sysdba" and all is fine, I connect to an idle
>instance (I specify an empty password)

Yes, when you are working interactively with SQL*Plus. Not when redirecting input.

>> Second, what is the purpose of the 'open;' command in your startup
>> script? If startup works, the database is open -- assuming no
>> specific arguments to the contrary.
>
>I trust RedHat ...

Don't. I've been burned more than once by vendors supplied scripts for products other than their own.

>> And on your shutdown script, why are you doing a 'shutdown abort'?
>> While a shutdown abort is recoverable and not to be feared of itself,
>> I'd hardly call that a 'tidy' shutdown.
>
>I change it with a "shutdown immediate" but I the problem still
>remain.

Of course it remains. It has nothing to do with shutting down immediate vs. abort, as you've already demonstrated to yourself ("the problem still remain")

Methinks you did not pay close enough attention to the Oracle installation instructions, besides placing too much faith in Red Hat.

Have you looked up the explanations for the ORA-nnnnn msgs you're seeing? tahiti.oracle.com is your friend. It requires setting up an OTN account, but it's free and will be the best 5 minutes you invest in learning about Orcle. Received on Thu Jul 08 2004 - 08:55:20 CDT