Re: Oracle management server with only one database going to 9i

From: Tony Dare <tonydare_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 23:10:19 -0700

Laura -

If you are as green as you say, then I would recommend that you go through the pain of NOT having OEM first when learning how to manage and backup your databases and then implement it later on. OEM in its 3-tier mode is not always the simplest thing to set up. Frequently there are problems getting the (formerly) Intelligent Agent to discover the databases, listeners and application servers. It is an infrastructure that requires its own management and is sensitive to network problems and configuration changes.

It will not save you much time up front, if you're not completely comfortable with Oracle RDBMS themselves. That being said, I do admit that it has gotten miles better and more useful since 1.6, the first version I used and I do like it and use it. I just don't know that it's the thing for you right now...

That's my $.02. YMMV.

Cheers,

td