Re: Is is possible to range partition sys.aud$ table ...

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 21:45:19 GMT

"Prem K Mehrotra" <premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:43441e77.0407070424.396afe1b_at_posting.google.com...
> Even though not supported by Oracle, people move sys.aud$ table to a
> different tablespace (as dicussed in this news group as well as in
> some books). My
> question is, is it also possible to partition (range) this table based
> on timestamp or so. I have to keep seven years worth of audit data
> and I wanted
> to keep each quarter's audit data in a separate partition. I will
> think it is
> risky to partition the aud$ table because aud$ table is created by
> Oracle but just
> wanted to get other's opinions If I cannot partition the aud$ table, I
> was thinking of creating my own table and then have a job to
> periodically l move data from aud$ to my table.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Prem

Never done this ..however, I do not think it would be a good idea to do this. You might be able to get away in your current version but its possible that some future oracle upgrade might fail because of the table being partitioned.

However, if you create your own table and partition that .. that would be the most acceptable solution.
That way you will not need to move the aud$ table also.

You should be asking this question to Oracle support anyway...

Anurag Received on Wed Jul 07 2004 - 16:45:19 CDT