Re: Oracle management server with only one database going to 9i

From: Pete's <empete2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Jul 2004 05:47:27 -0700

handl_at_mts.net (Laura) wrote in message news:<e0ddcf8.0407060608.634328b7_at_posting.google.com>...
> We will be changing from a 8.1.7 to Oracle 9i.
>
> I would like to impliment some "best practices" right from the start.
> Being rather green, 5 day dba course, makes you a dba at our shop. I
> have done some research into Oracle Management server.
>
> I was thinking of implementing this in our shop, even though it will
> only be monitoring one database, possible two.
> The reason for the management server that perked my interest, in that
> fact that I can use RMAN for backup, but the real reason was using it
> for event monitoring.
>
> We do not have the man power to continuely look at the alert log, and
> we are always creating scripts to monitor table sizes, etc.
>
> I was wondering if this would be a good thing, and is it commonly used
> for one database.
>
> I am also looking at how much overhead it needs. Size RAM ect.
> Is there a good READ about this?
>
> Is there any best practices for moving to 9i?

OMS has gotten better over the years. You don't need OMS to use RMAN.  If you were going to use RMAN via OMS, you basically will be scheduling backup jobs. You may want to consider 10g for OMS and then make a decision on you other database(s). BTW, is you OMS instance going to be on another server than the ones it will be monitoring? I have my OMS instance on a different server than production. Lastly, OMS does a decent job in regards to event monitoring.

HTH,
Pete's Received on Wed Jul 07 2004 - 07:47:27 CDT