Re: "select *" MUCH quicker than "select <field> from...": explanation ?

From: Spendius <spendius_at_muchomail.com>
Date: 6 Jul 2004 23:10:59 -0700

Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl> wrote:

> Did you

> - compare the execution paths and/or ran EXPLAIN PLAN?
> - traced the session ?

I admit I didn't give much details about this one: I *only* compared response times in SQL*Plus with "set timi on", and executed each different query many many times to make sure I always get the same delay (which is the case). We're on 8.1.7.4 on SunOS 8 (not unusual is it ?). I just wanted to know whether someone ever encountered that phenomenom and had some explanation.

Bedankt.
Sp Received on Wed Jul 07 2004 - 01:10:59 CDT